Benefits of Beetroot: The lockdown has given us all the time to try out different recipes with the available vegetables. Here we talk about the very healthy root, beetroot. This is different as compared to most vegetables not only in color but also in the many benefits this offers. Before carrying on with the different ways you can consume beet, listed are few of the benefits.
- Beetroots are a good source of nitrates which are compounds which convert into nitric oxide in the human body. This can lower the blood pressure by opening up the blood cells.
- The presence of beta lain in the beetroot helps in reducing the inflammation of your body. This is due to the fact that beet tends to interfere with the signaling process of inflammation.
- The nitrates present in the beetroot increase the flow of oxygen and maintain brain health.
- Digestion improves with the consumption of beetroot on a regular basis.
- This root can also boost the immunity.
- Beet is known to have properties which fight cancer.
- Zeaxanthin and lutein present in the beet root have a positive impact on your vision.
- Liver health is looked after by the intake of beet as this contains antioxidants, iron, Vitamin B and betaine.
Tips to include Beetroot in your Diet:
- Beetroot Butter Milk:
Make a puree of one boiled beetroot. Mix this with one cup of water and one cup of yogurt. Heat around ½ tsp of oil and add 5 to 6 curry leaves, ¼ tsp of mustard seeds, 1 green chili and ½ tsp ginger. Add this to the beetroot and yogurt mixture. You can have this once it is chilled.
- Beetroot Juice:
You can make the juice of plain beetroot and for that additional required flavor you can add some hot peppers or ginger. You can also add some lemon peel or orange peel is you need a different flavor.
- Chicken and Beet Salad:
Steam 2 beetroots and marinate this with the juice of one lemon, fresh herbs and 1 tsp of olive oil. This can be roasted for around 40 minutes. This can be served as a salad after you peel and chop the beet. You can add some chicken breast for a healthy salad.
- Beetroot Raita:
Grate 1 beetroot after boiling. Heat around 1 tsp of oil and add mustard seeds and one cut green chili, grated ginger, 1 dried red chili and grated beet. You need to cook this for around 2 minutes. Add this to 1 cup of yogurt and add required salt and a pinch of roasted cumin powder.
As mentioned, benefits of beetroot and to add to this, this root is low in calories and thus work perfect for those looking to lose some weight. These can be cooked and consumed in a wide range of recipes or even consumed plain.
You need to avoid beets which have wilted greens. This needs to be cut off, leaving only an inch of the green so that the beet can retain the moisture. This can then be stored either in a paper bag or a plastic bag in your refrigerator.
Read more articles.